HIFU stands for HIGH INTENSITY FOCUSED ULTRASOUND. Ultrasounds are being utilized in medical/research field for investigating, research and treating conditions like cancers. In aesthetics it is becoming an increasing popular treatment for rejuvenation of various parts of the body and localized fat reduction. It is called focused because the energy beams emitted from the applicator targets various depths of the skin to obtain the desired rejuvenating, skin tightening and fat reduction effects..
Is HIFU used for facial rejuvenation?
Yes, it is an excellent, non-surgical and cost effective treatment for the following facial conditions:
- Loose skin
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Skin folds, like nasolabial folds
- Jaw contouring by improving and lifting jowls
- Crow’s feet
- Frown and forehead lines
- Double chin
What is the depth of Ultrasound Energy used in Facial HIFU?
There are different applicators used which emit energy focused at the following depths below the skin surface.
- 5mm depth is to treat the superficial dermis layer
- 5mm depth is used to target the deeper skin layer (Dermis and Subcutaneous fat layer)
- 5mm depth is used to reach the layers of subcutaneous fat and SMAS layer. SMAS stands for Superficial Musculo-Aponeurotic System. It is the layer between the muscle and the fat, the actual area a plastic surgeon would pull and tighten during a face lift surgery.
How does the Ultrasound Energy work?
Immediate effect of HIFU- Inflammatory phase (0-48 hours) HIFU creates multiple micro thermal injuries in the deeper layers of skin. Body as a result of these injuries triggers a healing response. Haemostasis, skin coagulation and cell migration takes place.Intermediate effect of HIFU- Proliferative phase (2 days – 6 weeks)
Cell migration results in the formation of granulation tissue, tissue contracture and collagen synthesis.Delayed effects of HIFU- Remodeling phase
The new collagen which is synthesized in the intermediate phase now starts to rearrange giving strength and support to the overlying skin and creating a lifting effect. The results are improvement in lines, wrinkles and tightening of the skin.
- Localised skin infection or skin damage
- Neurological conditions
- Poorly controlled Diabetes
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Metal implants in the area to be treated
- Any electrical device in the body e.g. Pacemaker
Pros of HIFU treatment
- Non-surgical treatment at a fraction of the price for a surgical face lift
- No risk of infection, bleeding and scar formation
- No downtime
- Effects last for up to 2 years
- Can be combined with other aesthetic treatments for enhanced overall outcome
Cons of HIFU treatment
- Transient swelling and redness at the treatment site
- Can experience sensitivity to touch and transient tingling sensations which can persist up to 2 weeks
- Rarely temporary numbness and bruising may occur
- Lack of effectiveness in about 10% of cases
Preparation for the HIFU treatment
There are few things which can be done achieve the best results and to avoid side effects:
- One the important things are to focus on healthy eating with good hydration.
- Adding supplements like Vitamin A, C, D, B3, B12, Zinc and Fish Oils can improve skin’s hydration and repair process.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol especially few days before the procedure.
- No skin irritants (glycolic acid, salicylic acid, retinols) to be used on the area to be treated for at least 72 hours prior to the procedure
Step by step HIFU procedure
- Make-up is cleaned
- The whole face is cleansed with an antiseptic
- The treatment area is carefully mapped
- Ultrasound gel is applied
- Energy output is adjusted according to the area and the applicator being used
- Treatment is delivered to the mapped area one section at a time
- After the whole area is treated, the face is cleansed again and a collagen serum/slin booster is applied to calm and nourish the skin. The procedure takes about 60 minutes to cover the whole face and sometimes more if the neck is also involved. During the treatment the energy levels can be altered according to area and the tolerance of the patient.
Recovery after HIFU
- No downtime.
You may immediately resume your daily activities, but it is advised to avoid anything which with increase blood flow to the treated area or raise the body temperature. Hence, no hot shower, steam/sauna or vigorous exercise at least for 72 hours.
To continue with good hydration and healthy diet.
Results of HIFU treatment
Immediate: Skin feels taut and smoother. Fine lines are less noticeable.Intermediate: In about three months plumping effect of the new collagen synthesis begin to appear.Final results: It takes up to 6 months for the new collagen to become remodeled giving a younger and fresher looking face.Results can last for a long period of time ranging from 1 to 4 years. This variation is due to variation in types of skins, age, level of skin care used, diet, hydration and level of sun protection used.
Q: Is HIFU painful?
It can be uncomfortable, but energy level can be adjusted according to individual’s tolerance.
Q-Is there a need or benefit of top-up treatment?
A top-up can be beneficial and improve results but not necessary. It can be done between 3 to 6 months after the initial treatment.
Q- Is HIFU safe?
Yes, it is safe in qualified hands. At Javaani Clinic we use certified equipment and all treatments are performed by advanced therapists who are qualified and insured.
QIs it necessary to do a full face HIFU?
No, a part of the face can also be treated if required. For instance mid face, lower face or neck can be done separately.
Q-Is there a downtime after HIFU?
NO, you may immediately resume your day to day activities
Q: What age is suitable for HIFU treatment?
This treatment can be offered to a mature skin of any age usually 35+
Q: How to assess suitability for HIFU treatment?
At Javaani Aesthetic Clinic we do it through a detailed consultation process, which includes full medical history and skin examination.
Javaani Aeshetic Clinic has an experienced and qualified team of Advance Therapists led by Dr Ahmad.
- Wrinkle reduction
- Jawline definition
- Tightening of décolletage
- Skin smoothing
45- 60 minutes
Back to work
Duration of results